OB Pharmaceuticals is an early stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the lives of individuals through the development of first-in-class therapeutics for more effective prevention and management of epilepsy and other related seizure disorders.
Our R&D program has created more than 120 new chemical entities (NCEs) with anti-epileptic/seizure drug (AED/ASD) properties spanning two molecular classes that establish new intellectual property opportunities for composition of matter and method of use. In preclinical studies to date, our lead candidate demonstrates higher potency, greater efficacy and less undesirable side effects than current standard of care (SOC) drugs. Our novel screening platforms demonstrate its promise for drug resistant epilepsy (DRE) and seizures resulting from traumatic brain injury (TBI), especially those exacerbated by stress.
- Privately held Canadian company
- Seed financing acquired in spring 2014
- Operations initiated fall 2014
- Preclinical research conducted at the Robarts Research Institute, London, ON adjacent to the University of Western Ontario University Hospital and the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, one of the premier centers for epilepsy treatment and research in Canada.
- NCE patent applications filed for composition of matter and therapeutic method with three U.S. patents granted thus far.
Unmet Medical Need
- Chronic spectrum disorder affecting more than 60 million people worldwide; 75-80% in developing regions
- No cure - medications can only reduce seizure frequency
- More than 30% of patients have drug resistant form and do not respond to current standard of care (SOC) prescribed AEDs
- Current medications have undesirable side effects such as memory loss, sedation, poor coordination/dizziness, nausea and blurred vision
- Epilepsy Market Size to Cross USD 9,509.2 million, exhibiting a CAGR of 8.20% Over the Forecast Period 2018-2023.
* Epilepsy Global Drug Forecast (2017) and Market Research Future (2019)