OB Pharmaceuticals is an early stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the lives of individuals by developing first-in-class therapeutics for more effective management and prevention of epilepsy and other related seizure disorders.
Our R&D program has created more than 120 new chemical entities (NCEs) with anti-epileptic/seizure drug (AED/ASD) properties spanning two molecular classes that establish new intellectual property opportunities for composition of matter and method of use. In preclinical studies to date, our lead candidate demonstrates higher potency, greater efficacy and less undesirable side effects than current standard of care (SOC) drugs. Our novel screening platforms demonstrate its promise for drug resistant epilepsy (DRE) and seizures resulting from traumatic brain injury (TBI), especially those exacerbated by stress.
- Privately held Canadian company
- Seed financing acquired in spring 2014
- Operations initiated fall 2014
- Research operations located within the Robarts Research Institute, London, ON adjacent to the University of Western Ontario University Hospital and the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, one of the premier centers for epilepsy treatment and research in Canada
- Patent applications filed for composition of matter and therapeutic utility. One U.S. patent granted
Unmet Medical Need
- Chronic spectrum disorder affecting more than 60 million people worldwide; 75-80% in developing regions
- No cure - medications can only reduce seizure frequency
- More than 30% of patients have drug resistant form and do not respond to current standard of care (SOC) prescribed AEDs
- Current medications have undesirable side effects such as memory loss, sedation, poor coordination/dizziness, nausea and blurred vision
- $6.11B epilepsy market in 2016 expected to grow to $7.5B by 2026 (CAGR 2.1%)
* Epilepsy Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2026, GlobalData (2017)